Aging in place home remodeling has become very popular as an ever-growing portion of the population fits the Senior 55+ description. Aging in place home remodeling for the bathroom space requires special consideration. For example, consider strategically placed grab bars — you might be surprised at how useful they are for friends and family members of all ages. Another consideration is a walk in tub or roll in shower. Which would you prefer?
Advantages of a Walk-In Tub Over a Roll-In Shower
The walk-in tub provides a pleasant soaking experience, similar to a regular bathtub. Equipped with aging in place safety features such as an anti-slip bottom, grab bars and a bench seat, the walk-in tub offers the best safety options with the highest level of bathing experience for the mobility impaired individual. For those who cannot stand for long periods, the walk-in bathtub allows easy access to bathing. A final advantage of a walk-in tub over a roll-in shower is the relaxing bathing experience found in the tub. Many walk-in tubs are available with multiple spray jets, digital temperature and thermostatic controls, and hydrotherapy — perfect as part of a home remodeling for the bathroom.
If you are considering a home remodeling project to upgrade your home to be better prepared for your senior years, Sam Clark, builder and author of “The Real Goods Independent Builder: Designing & Building a House Your Own Way” and “Remodeling a Kitchen“, has the following suggestions. Remodel your home to include:
- Ground level living with a minimum of a bedroom, bath and kitchen on the first floor
- Widen doorways to 32-inch to accommodate a wheelchair, which requires a 60-inch turning radius
- One level entry, preferably at the front, with a no-barrier door threshold
- Plan for the future, by providing such things as wall reinforcement for future grab bars, electrical conduit and a shaft for an elevator if anticipated, etc.
- Storage in the “optimal reach zone” — the space between 20 inches and 44 inches above the floor to a depth of 20 inches away from your body. Use drawers instead of cupboards for easy slide-out access to all of the stored objects.
- Lever handles at all doors, electrical outlets higher than normal and switches lower than normal
- Non-skid flooring with either hard floors or low-pile carpet
Aging In Place Home and Bathroom Remodeling Experts
For more information about walk-in tubs and roll-in showers as part of an aging in place home remodeling for the bathroom, contact the experts at Stair Lifts Atlanta / Atlanta Home Modifications, LLC. We will visit you in metro Atlanta or north Georgia, evaluate your home, and provide design and pricing information. The areas we serve include Athens, Atlanta, Gainesville, Buford, Canton, Woodstock, Kennesaw, Cartersville, Douglasville, Newnan, LaGrange, Peachtree City, Fayetteville, McDonough and Stockbridge. Contact us today at 770.880.3405.